Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Steal City has stolen you from us

This semester has already had one for the books or for the blogs. Marcus my other roommate was diagnosed with acute leukemia. He won’t return to school this semester. He has already shaved his head and we are trying to plan a weekend trip up to the Steal City, Pittsburg to visit him. I talked to Marcus the other day and he seemed to be in good spirits, talking about loosing his hair and how he'll feel like a two year old. I can't imagine loosing all the hair on my body. My chest, my legs, my arms, hands, feet, everywhere!
You don't wish anything like this on anyone, and sometimes you wonder why bad things happen to good people. As odd and maybe insensitive as this sounds, there is no better person who should have this. Marcus' love for God and people make him a prime candidate. He loves God and try’s his best to follow him everyday and he loves people. Just over hearing him say something to a nurse was encouraging. He was so polite and kind; his voice was appreatative and tender. I can see the nurse station now, fighting over who gets to take care of him because he is such a joy to be around. That's the kind of kid God wants us to be, to be able to stare death in the face and look right past it into Jesus' eyes. Marcus has a hope and an attitude that should inspire us all to be more like Jesus. To love people where they are and to want to see God do amazing things. We are praying for a miracle and for healing. But sometimes our definitions of those words are not God's. But we must learn to trust him, that he wont leave us abandoned but with be even closer to us as we draw near to him, he will draw near to us.
This brings Marcus into somewhat of a spot light, but I know that his love for Jesus and people will outshine any light we can put on him.

2 comments:

Nathanael Litter said...

We'll be praying for him and for you guys. I can't even imagine...

Unknown said...

In a way Nate, you and Marcus have a lot in common. I'm sure you've touched so many people through the numerous in and outs of the hospital. Keep the faith brother!